News Worms
News Worms

United States to expel almost two-thirds of Cuban embassy staff: U.S. sources

United States to expel almost two-thirds of Cuban embassy staff: U.S. sources

The Trump administration ordered the expulsion of 15 officials from Cuba's embassy in Washington over the government's failure to protect 22 USA citizens who were subjected to a series of unexplained health attacks in recent months.

USA secretary of state Rex Tillerson said the move would "ensure equity".

U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said the latest decision was made "due to Cuba's failure to take appropriate steps to protect American personnel in Cuba, targeted in mysterious attacks that damaged their health".

"This order will ensure equity in our respective diplomatic operations". It comes as the United States seeks to protect its own diplomats from unexplained attacks that have harmed at least 21 Americans in Havana with ailments that affected their hearing, cognition, balance, and vision.

The department said symptoms include hearing loss, dizziness, headache, fatigue, cognitive issues, and difficulty sleeping.

The Trump administration imposed last week's and today's reprisals despite the U.S. State Department's admitting investigators have not been able to determine who is responsible or what caused the alleged health events, which Washington describes as "attacks" without any conclusions about it.

The steps being taken by President Donald Trump's administration mark another blow to his predecessor, Barack Obama's, policy of rapprochement between Washington and Havana, former Cold War foes. Last week, the State Department said it would pull more than half its personnel out of the U.S. Embassy in Havana, and they are expected to leave by the end of the week.

But the weird case has brought simmering U.S. -Cuba tensions since Trump took office to a boil.

He said he would not lift the US trade embargo on the Caribbean island until it made "fundamental reforms".

The move to push out the Cuban diplomats comes after the USA made a decision to pull back its own staff from the island nation after suspicious "health attacks" in Havana left some victims with hearing loss and speech problems.

Cuba said during the second and third visits, it let the U.S. import special equipment and granted access to all facilities.

The decision announced Tuesday is certain to deepen the rift between the two countries over what the State Department has called "specific attacks" on USA diplomats during the past 10 months.

The U.S. measures will stop short of breaking off relations or closing the two countries'embassies, which reopened in 2015 following more than five decades of hostility.

United States transnational news agency Association Press gave impetus yesterday to Washington's assertion that USA diplomats in Havana have suffered mysterious sensory attacks by alleging that intelligence agents have been especially targeted.

"Our position. does not presume Cuban culpability", the official said.

In Friday's travel warning urging Americans not to visit Cuba, the State Department confirmed earlier reporting by the AP that U.S. personnel first encountered unexplained physical effects in Cuban hotels.

Also on Friday, the U.S. government warned against travels to Cuba.


editors' picks

October 04, 2017
Congress Lets Insurance Program for Poor Children Expire, Oklahoma to Lose $49M
Senate Bill 1827, or the Keeping Kids' Insurance Dependable and Secure (KIDS) Act of 2017, was introduced September 18 by Sen. The House Energy and Commerce Committee is also having a hearing on Wednesday to consider its version of the Senate bill.

October 03, 2017
Marilyn Manson cancels nine shows following on-stage injury
The show was stopped when two giant pistols and their supporting frame toppled onto him, and he was later taken to a hospital. Video posted to YouTube by the music blog BrooklynVegan shows Manson fall first, followed by the prop - right on top of him.

October 03, 2017
Guardiola says Barcelona should have called off match over vote violence
Third-place Atletico Madrid could not manage more than a 0-0 draw at Leganes, dropping six points behind Barcelona . Ahead of the game, reports surfaced that FC Barcelona had requested that the game be postponed.

October 03, 2017
Former Australian PM Says Macklemore Shouldn't Perform Gay Anthem At Rugby Final
Rapper Macklemore has pledged a donation to the "Yes" campaign for marriage equality. Macklemore rehearsing ahead of Sunday's NRL Grand Final.

October 03, 2017
Monarch Airline goes bust with 300000 bookings cancelled and 110000 passengers stranded
The company employs about 2,750 predominantly UK-based staff and reported a 291 million pounds loss past year , a BBC report said. Airline and holiday operator Monarch, which employs more than 2,000 staff, has collapsed, with all flights grounded.

October 03, 2017
McDonald's Is Bringing Back Szechuan Sauce Just For One Day
There will also be 1,000 limited edition posters for the various dipping sauces McDonalds has available. I'm driven by finding that McNugget sauce.

October 03, 2017
Myanmar Minister Tells UN That Refugees Can Return From Bangladesh
The office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees said in a news release that it was alarmed by the attack. The government, however, blames the Rohingya for the violence, claiming the Muslims set fire to their own homes.

October 03, 2017
First left-arm spinner to 400 Test wickets
Leg-spinner Yasir Shah grabbed the key wicket of Dinesh Chandimal to leave visitors fighting to avoid defeat on Sunday. Asked how long he would like Herath to play in his side, given he is nearing 40, Chandimal made a little wish.

October 03, 2017
One eve of Gaza reconciliation, Hamas frees Fatah men
The United States, Israel and others consider Hamas a terrorist group as it refuses to accept Israel's right to exist. But we are determined to tackle every issue and solve it in the best interest of our national cause.

October 03, 2017
Trial begins for women accused of assassinating Kim Jong-un's brother
But after North Korea barred Malaysian diplomats and their families from leaving its territory, Malaysia relented. Their defence lawyers are likely to argue that the real culprits are North Korean agents, who left Malaysia.